Sunday, September 30, 2012

I Think I Just Got Sick

The most recent documentary I watched for class, Charles Ferguson's Inside Job, quite simply infuriated me. Although I could spot the bias, although I was distracted by Matt Damon's voice, and although I understand absolutely nothing about the economy or banking, I was simply appalled by the fact that the economic crisis of 2008 was caused by people who profited from it. Allow me to expand.

Cocaine stimulates the same part of the brain that certain games do. The prize in these games is money. Scary, huh?
 I did spot the bias in this film. The music was obviously quite intentional, sometime formidable and sometimes sarcastic. The voice of the narrater, although it obviously tried to sound neutral, was quite loaded. Damon used loaded words and word phrases that subconsciously swayed the viewer to agree with him. This was actually funny for me in particular though, because I could not get past the fact that Matt Damon was narrating. The whole time I was watching, the Bourne series kept popping into my head, and I was just waiting for Jason Bourne to start running around and killing these bankers. I even started hoping he would.
These wealthy bankers were said to rent Lamborghinis simply to impress the prostitutes they had for they night. No one should have that kind of money, especially if it is earned a the loss of others.
Although I could spot the bias, and although I saw from the beginning that this was a strongly liberal leaning film, it made me angry. It made me angry, but not at one particular political party, but rather these bankers. It simply disgusts me that people could sit around and get rich on the backs of the average man. No, not get rich, rather become obscenely, disgustingly loaded by tearing down the population and putting the entire economy of the United States at risk, and thus putting the economy of the world at risk. The corruption, the selfishness, the shortsightedness required to do something like this simply makes me sick. End of story. 

Throughout the whole film, I could not get the above song out of my head. It should have been used as the constant background song for the whole film.

No comments:

Post a Comment