Monday, September 24, 2012

Obstructed by the Screen


This film intrigued my sense of fascination with nature, it drew me in with its chanting sound track. I was almost enchanted, hypnotized. I loved the way time montages of lapses and slow motion reel followed each other, showing the similarities between very dissimilar physical objects. The clouds followed by waves, for example, simply blew my mind. The two things looked so similar when moving at the same rate. The country view, the nature shots, and the filming technique, all drew me in at first. As the movie progressed however, I must admit that I became bored. If I had been in these places in real life I could have stayed there for all of eternity and never wanted anything else, but the fact that it was all on a screen began to bother me. I wanted to be there. I wanted to see it for myself, unobstructed by the computer screen. This thought dug itself deeper and deeper and eventually I am sorry to say that I lost interest. It was a beautiful film, don't misunderstand me. It just was not my type. I'm quite the nature guy in real life, but I like it exactly like that, namely in real life. Even though I could clearly see the story and the meaning behind this film, as it travelled gradually from nature to man, displaying our life out of balance, it just was not a documentary, if you can call it that, for me. I was quite disappointed, not with the quality of the film, but rather with my interest in it. I wish I was the kind of person who could sit there in fascination through the whole film, but sadly I am not.

No comments:

Post a Comment