Monday, November 5, 2012

The Holocaust of the Chickens


Goosebumps crawled up my spine as the corpses of chickens rolled before my eyes, dangling by their legs from grim looking hooks. I realize that they are just chickens, but I am currently studying the holocaust of the Jews, as well the annihilation of the American Indians, and I couldn't help but see the similarities flashing before my eyes. Yes I understand that they are just animals, and the levels of evil in question here are on entirely different scales. But nonetheless there seem to be undeniable parallels, the greatest of which seems to me to be the veiling of the truth. I always wondered why some people are vegetarians
because of animals cruelty. I've always heard these vague stories of how animals are mistreated, or raised in an unhealthy way, but never on the scale of what I saw in this documentary. Honestly it scares me. It scares me that people are so cruel, and it scares me that I might die if I keep eating what I'm eating. The truth is completely masked. Behind the pretty mask of these enormous food corporations hides a vicious yet sneaky beast. This beast hides the disgusting things it does, just as Hitler hid his actions from many and was not exposed until later, and just as most Americans are still not aware of the plight of the American Indians. Again allow me to emphasize that I realize that these two stories are completely different, but the similarities that they do hold terrify me. The highly mechanized way in which everything is done is the same in all three cases.These animals are not raised anymore, they are "grown." They are produced. They are born simply to be slaughtered in an inhumane way. They are grown as fast and as fat as they can be, pumped full of hormones, and then they are killed. We eat them. The thought of eating those little squawking animals inhabiting the dark houses, or the cows on those enormous cattle farms disgusts me.

No comments:

Post a Comment